Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Paris...BonJour!

My first trip to Paris was in 1990.  I explored the City of Lights with my not-yet-husband, Todd. We had just graduated from college and were poor students on Eurorail passes. 


Neither of us could speak French. It is no surprise we felt totally lost...and ended up shortening our stay in Paris and extending our stay in Italy.


Ten years ago when Jeanie suggested attending the largest Lingerie conference in the world and it turned out to be in Paris, I actually cringed. 


But as it is with many things, my sister is always right! Not only did going change my view of Paris, it gave me sooooo much inspiration that now, I find myself actually needing to go there each year. 


Here we are at DIA about to leave for this years trip.  We are wearing matching coats borrowed from the deep closet of one of my favorite Aunts so that we can be stylish AND warm in Paris in January.  The coats are heavy enough to walk on their own; we have even named them!
Wearing Le Foz, and Fozzy.
We rent an apartment when we go to Paris each year.  (We highly recommend Paris Vacation Apartments).  Renting an apartment is not only less expensive than a hotel when we go for that length of time, but it really allows us feel like we living as Parisians do. It is so nice to have a kitchen and be able to make snacks and meals on our own.  And going to the market is a perfect opportunity for Jeanie to practice her French!
View of the Louvre from our apartment
I love having the opportunity to see something that inspires me every moment in Paris.  The apartment we stay in looks out over a perfectly manicured garden with the Louvre as a back drop.

Me! Outside Le Opera
Every shop window we pass, be it a patisserie, clothing store...even a hardware store,  is complete eye candy for me. I see something in every display that I bring home with me to incorporate into SOL displays and ad campaigns.
Main Hall
Today Jeanie and I got to be tourists instead of just working. I got to pick which tourist sites were on the plate de jour! I have always wanted to see an opera at Opera de Paris Garnier while in Paris but it is usually dark when we are here in January. Luckily they offer a tour of the Grand Hall even though we could not see the interior of the main theater. Seriously, it put Versailles to shame! We could hardly take in all the brilliantly painted ceilings, marble stair cases and gilded statues.  I could easily imagine all the beautiful people that have graced the opera in magnificent clothing. 
Cimetiere Pere-Lachaise
After the Opera we headed out to Cimetiere Pere-Lachaise which was very high on my list of things I have always wanted to see when we are here. Some of you might guess that I wanted to see the cemetery because The Doors lead singer Jim Morrison is buried here...but then you don't know Cindy Johnson very well.
Edith Piaf's grave
Inside the main hall
A day out and about makes me realize why Paris is so exciting and special to me. I love traditions and Paris is filled with them. Although the birthday of Paris has been debated, the architecture is from way back. 

View from Opera onto Boulevard de 'Opera
I love the way everyone dresses beautifully here. No jeans. No sweat pants and sports jerseys. People take time to look put together. It's about owning a few well made and designed items. Not the cheapest item and lots of it! No wonder Paris has divine lingerie stores on every corner with all ages of women shopping in them. No Parisian woman in her right mind would think to wear a pair of Jockeys with a lovely bra. Everything is made to make women feel and look glamorous. That is the main inspiration I try to bring home to all of my SOL girls!


We are women and lets enjoy our chance to be glamorous! Now off to dinner with my lovely little sister... I'll check in again with you tomorrow!


Au revoir,
Cindy