Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Guest Post from Paris!


Hi there, fellow SOL lovers! 

My name is Ananda De Martini and I'm a Product Development student at the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising in Los Angeles. However, first, I am a SOL customer!

I remember vividly being 14 years old and already having a big chest. Can you imagine at that age - you already feel awkward - and then I prematurely developed? My mother took me bra shopping at the mall and there were only "Granny Bras" available for in my size. I started crying hysterically; I was absolutely humiliated!

Then, someone recommended SOL. Cindy became my fairy bra mother! When I first met her I was still in tears... but she guided me into a SOL fitting room and I was in heaven from that moment on. She brought me the most beautiful bras I had ever seen...in my size, but appropriate and pretty and fun for a 14 year old. 

My Fairy Bramother and me.
Thus began my love of lingerie. I like to say I grew up with SOL. The SOL Girls were there for every big moment of my teenage life. First Date. Dances. Prom. Graduation.

After high school I could not imagine doing anything besides pursuing an education and career in fashion and design so that I might someday get to surround myself with lingerie. I moved to Los Angeles to follow my dream, but I am always in touch with Cindy - I know she shares my love of beautiful things that make you feel fantastic.

Recently, while visiting home, she told me about her upcoming Paris trip and Le Salon International de la Lingerie that she'd be attending. When she suggested I go too I jumped at the chance!

Cindy and I see the new Aubade line for fall. Best. Day. Ever.

The trip has been the opportunity of a lifetime and quite the eye opener! First, it is huge. As in two pavilions full of lingerie huge! It is overwhelmingly exciting to see all the different exhibitors. Some of the brands that stand out with innovative design are Andres Sarda and Aubade. They both have exquisite collections that I cannot wait to get my hands on!

I find it easy to be inspired here with so many creative people as well as people who have a true passion for the art of lingerie. Although I've met many wonderful people, one of my favorite experiences was getting to see a bra being made. Did you know it takes 45 separate pieces to create ONE bra? Fascinating.
  
The expert craftmanship that goes into a Lise Charmel bra.
This expo has been a wonderful experience and a great introduction into the lingerie industry. I can only hope to attend every year. Thank you for reading. I've enjoyed guest blogging for SOL!

Au revoir,
Ananda