Thursday, September 16, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me. And Aunt Dot.

Today is my birthday...another year flown by!

Although every birthday is a milestone in its own way there are some that you willingly let slide by without too much fanfare. But - there are birthdays you should genuinely celebrate - especially if its a celebration of a beautiful life well lived.

One of my favorite people, Janelle's Aunt Dot, celebrated one of those milestones this week. She turned 85, and Janelle took her to the Plaza Hotel in New York City for tea.


I visited the newly remodeled Plaza just last year with Jeannie and Janelle after one of my Today Show appearances. It is nothing short of stunning - and walking into the majestic lobby with its crystal chandeliers, plush carpeting and grand decor takes your breath away and harks back to times long ago.

I've known Aunt Dot for almost 15 years and she is a real character. Independent. Sassy. Has an opinion on everything. I love hearing her stories of when she worked in NYC in the late 40s.

Aunt Dot and Janelle toasted to 85 with tea (and a martini!)...which is exactly how I hope to do it in about 45 years.

To Aunt Dot and all those other Virgos out there - Happy Birthday!